- This event has passed.
6 Day Camino Experience
September 20, 2020 @ 8:00 am - September 25, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
6 Day Camino Experience that retrace the footsteps of those who have gone before. Walking these trails with Phil and Elaine will leave imprints that will last a lifetime.
Every day, you can expect something totally different to what has gone before; a mountain trail one day, an old coastal pilgrim path another, a cliff walk, even a cycle on the Waterford Greenway or a walk around the mystical lakes at Glendalough.
- Comeragh Mountains: One of Ireland’s best kept secrets, the Comeraghs offer everything from a dramatic waterfall to an age-old pathway that follows the River Mahon through a cathedral of rock to the woods below.
- St. Declan’s Way: Walk in the footsteps of St. Declan setting out on stunning cliff walk around Ardmore and later arriving in timeless surrounds of Lismore, taking in signature points on Ireland’s original Camino along the way.
- Waterford Greenway: A journey through time by foot or bicycle on this old railway line against the towering backdrop of the Comeragh Mountains on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other.
- To the waters and the wild: Coastal tour through the Copper Coast UNESCO Global Geopark with a beach walk in Tramore followed by a cliff walk and boat trip in the fishing village of Dunmore East.
- Glendalough – the journey home: Guided walk through the mystical surrounds of this ‘valley of the two lakes’ to soak in the peace and beauty that first captivated St. Kevin some 1,500 years ago.
Our base for the 6 days is The Tower Hotel and Leisure Centre, in the heart of Ireland’s oldest City, Waterford. This Neville Hotel, offers the City’s most central location and overlooks the River Suir. With Reginald’s Tower on your doorstep and in the middle of the vibrant, award winning Viking Triangle, this setting offers a little something for everyone. All you have to do is show up. You simply leave the rest to us!
Day 1: Arrival in Waterford City
Aim to arrive at The Tower Hotel for 2pm in the afternoon, time to settle into your accommodation. You will then experience a unique guided tour of the Viking Triangle and Waterford Museum of Treasures, followed by a Welcoming Reception with wine, story and song in the 13th Century Choristers’ Hall.
Day 2: Comeragh Mountains
Morning: 8 km walk from the Mahon Falls in the heart of the Comeragh Mountains, following the river downstream as it meanders its way through Crough Woods below.
Afternoon: We take our coach transfer back to Waterford City, to visit the Edmund Rice Centre. Where we will enjoy ‘Stories and Songs of Hope’ led by Dr Phil and members of The High Hopes Homeless Choir.
Day 3: St. Declan’s Way
Morning: Signature walk along St. Declan’s Way, starting out from the cliffs at Ardmore where St. Declan founded a monastery in the 5th Century (5km). We then take in some of the iconic stretches of the old pilgrim path St. Declan set out on some 1,500 years ago, as we follow the steps of those who have gone before (5 to 15km, the choice is yours).
Afternoon: We visit the beautiful heritage town of Lismore. Founded by St. Carthage and his community of monks in 636 AD, Lismore gained its most famous feature, its castle, in 1185 when Prince John built a fortress on the banks of the River Blackwater. Here, by the banks of the River Blackwater, we come face to face with these stunning remnants of a bygone time.
Day 4: Waterford Greenway
Morning: 11 km walk from Waterford City to Kilmeaden on the Waterford Greenway. The stroll along this old railway line has an enchanting allure as we pass Viking ruins, the 300 year old Mount Congreve Gardens and a 16th Century watch tower, in silent unison with the flow of the River Suir alongside.
Afternoon: We have the option of walking or cycling the last stretch of the Waterford Greenway from Durrow into Dungarvan (10km). If you’re up to it, the experience of gently cycling through Durrow Tunnel and on through the panoramic vistas that await on the other side is as liberating as it gets.
Day 5: To the waters and the wild
Morning: Scenic coach journey along the Copper Coast UNESCO Global Geopark from Dungarvan to Tramore. On arrival in this seaside town, we have a choice of an 8km walk around the sand dunes on the beach or a beautiful cliff walk along the path from Newtown Cove. Ice-cream on the promenade completes the experience!
Afternoon: Visit to the fishing village of Dunmore East for a 4 km cliff walk followed by a boat trip out in the bay. Brendan takes us on a voyage of discovery, sharing anecdotes on the coves and sea caves, and simply reminding us unknowingly of what really matters in life.
Day 6: Glendalough – the journey home
Morning: Transfer to Glendalough (one hour south of Dublin). En route to Glendalough, we’ll make time to visit the ruins of St. Aidan’s Abbey in Ferns, Co. Wexford. Aidan is reputed to have been a pupil of St. David in Wales. Glendalough, a name that echoes around the world as a place of profound beauty and tranquillity, is located within a valley of two lakes in Co. Wicklow. As we walk along the lakeside, we sense we have entered a sacred space. One of the team from Tearmann Spirituality, a local retreat centre seeped in the history and the spirituality of Glendalough, will lead us on our walk around the lakes. (This is our final day. We wrap up after lunch. We part ways at 2pm. We can help arrange transfers to Dublin or you can return by coach to Waterford City to continue your holiday in Ireland).
“Time-out is as much about fun and adventure as it is about connecting to something
deeper within ourselves.”
Included in the 6 Day Waterford Camino Experience…
- 5 nights in The Tower Hotel, Waterford City.
- Breakfast, packed lunch and evening dinner on each day of your stay.
- Reflective ‘compass points’ each day led by Dr Phil Brennan.
- Luxury coach transfers.
- Bike hire, boat trip and Irish Tapas and Music Reception in Waterford Museum of Treasures.
- Guided tours.
- Musical workshop, with some members of the High Hopes Choir and the Island of Ireland Peace Choir, in the Edmund Rice Centre, Waterford City.
- Lunch in Glenadlough.
Price from €1095* per person sharing. (HIGH-season is May, June, July and August with a €100 PPS supplement for the 5 nights. Single room supplement of €150 LOW-season and €200 HIGH-season for the 5 nights. Single rooms are limited to 3 max per group booking and are offered on a first come basis).
Ideal group size of 12 to 16 persons.